To quote Shannon of Hungry Zombie Couture, I decided to join the cool kids and start a blog. Mind you, I have never been cool in my life, but it would be nice to associate with the cool crowd. I have become addicted to sewing blogs in the last few years. I check my favorites almost every day and they have inspired me, taught me and brought me into a world of sewers even though I don't know anyone in real life who sews.
The Great Coat Sew Along.
I joined the Great Coat Sew Along last spring. It is now March and I finally finished my coat after a series of misadventures and delays. I started having serious shoulder problems last summer and finally had surgery in November. Then of course there was physical therapy. I finally cut the coat (after 2 muslins) in mid January. Delayed again by the need to have a summer wardrobe for a trip to Florida in January. Whew. Anything it seems to avoid making this coat. But, I finish it I finally did.
I took pictures during the construction in case I decided to take the plunge and start a blog.
Here is my yellow coat. When I first planned this, I was all set to make a camel colored coat. and decided that that was just too boring. So I found this yellow double faced wool at Manhattan Fabrics it isn't dull, that's for sure. I just need to get used to wearing something so bright!
It is oop V8306
It is a Very Easy Vogue and I do not love these very easy patterns. They leave out better tailoring details to make it easy I guess, but some things they leave out really don't make it harder.
There is a back slit in the longer jacket which you are supposed to line up to the edge. Duh. Who does that? Even a back slit in a skirt has at least a fold back facing. In a coat, it should be designed as a vent. I left it out in any case because I don't like them in what is essentially a carcoat.
The pattern has you only interface the undercollar, and facings. I added interfacing to the upper collar, the center front, side front and the upper back. I also interfaced all the hems. None of the patterns show this any more and it is an easy add and should be done on almost everything.
I added patch pockets, instead of the inseam pockets called for. I did not need any more width at my hips. I used Roberta Carr's method and it looks like the pockets are sewn from the back, but actually the lining is machine sewn (on the left in this picture) on and the pocket folded down and slipstitched on. It is much more secure.
I'll be working on a new tnt pants. I gained enough weight that the old one isn't working for me anymore.
Notes on a Pattern - McCall M7445 Pants
44 minutes ago