Monday, February 8, 2010

GRAVITY FEED IRONS

Just a quick  post today.  Several people have asked me about my iron, so here goes.  I am on my third Rowenta iron.  The latest one started to spit a bit and I decided that I'd had enough of expensive Rowenta irons that just didn't seem to last so I looked for an alternative.  The next to last died in the middle of a project and I ran to Jo Ann's and bought a new one.  When you need it now, there is never much in the way of choice, at least not out here.  At the time, and actually there is one going on now, there was a discussion about irons on Pattern Review.  Gravity feed, versus steam generator.  Enough people that I knew and respected, well internet buddies, liked the gravity feed iron.  It has a large water  reservoir that hangs above the iron, hence the gravity feed name. You will either have to put a hook in the ceiling or have something else to hang it on. It has to hang at least 3' above the iron.   The iron is smaller than those that hold water and heavier too. This one weighs 5 pounds I think and it gives off lots of steam.  I bought the Consew CES 300, one of the least expensive at $100.  I don't recall where I bought it, but places like Atlanta Thread and  Cleaners Supply sell them online.  There are other places as well.  You have to use it with a package of de ironizing granules and need to  replace them when they turn all brown.  They will not fix this one and I don't think that they sell parts, but I leave this on for hours when I am sewing and it's fine after over a year of use.  It takes longer to heat up, about 5 minutes than your lighter household iron.   If you have more money to spend there are some other brands that sell for about $300 and they do have parts available. 
If you are tailoring with wool the amount of steam produced will make you never want to return to a household iron again.
Caveat.  It comes with a silicone rest but if you leave it on for hours, the board you have it on will get hot.  I put the silcone pad on a quarry tile for safety.
Would I buy one again?  Yes, without a doubt.

23 comments:

  1. I love my SilverStar Gravity feed...best iron I've ever had!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to respond to this. I have been using Gravity Feed Irons for over 12 years now. I sew and sell my work. Recently I lost my entire house, sewing room, and contents to the wildfires in Oregon, and the first thing after my machines was a Gravity Feed Iron. I too had it with Rowenta's ... for the same reasons; but I have replaced my $100 to $125.00 Gravity Feed iron 3 times in those 12 years, once to the fire, and that iron was over 8 years and still going strong. I turn mine on about 4 am and it goes until I quit each day at 6 or 7 pm. It is 7 days. That is alot to say for an iron. I got my first one from WaWak (who also has Cleaner's Supply), and talked to someone there who told me what I needed to know about the non replacement parts vs the replacement ones. This last one, a Sapporo (my 8 yr old one was also Sapporo) has a sheet with the part numbers in it, so, perhaps it can be repaired. However, I would just replace it if I needed to. I love the gravity feed irons and would Never be without one. The second thing I cannot live without is a Clapper, and frankly, not all are created equal. But I love using one. If you are ever in the market for an iron, give the gravity feed a try. You will never regret it. If I did not have 3' clearance, I would change where I ironed to have it, they are that good.

      Delete
  2. I have the Consew CES300 also and I love it. I bought mine from AllBrands.com and I paid $100 too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy. Sadly, I sew in the finished basement and don't have 3' clearance above the iron for the tank. Good to know about this model though. Mostly I have read/heard about Namoto (sp?) and possibly Laurastar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a gravity feed iron is awesome :) I had no idea what I was missing out on, tailoring wise, until I got one. Bought the Naomoto HYS-58 from Cleaner's Supply, thanks to the thread you mentioned on Pattern Review, lots of good info there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would love one of these, just don't know if I have a place for the resevoir. I bought a cheapo Black & Decker "dry" iron for when I work on silks and satins, because my nice Rowenta is starting to throw up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own the Consew CES 300 paid around $100 and love it. Once you go gravity feed ,you never go back.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had the Naomoto HYS-58 from Cleaner's Supply for a month now. It took some getting used to but now I am really enjoying it. It does such a professional press job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not had any luck with the Rowenta and have vowed never to go down that road again. The next was a gravity feed, but I have a steam generator now, and I have to tell you I love it. It was a little cheaper than the current gravity feed, and it works like a gem - I press the button and as long as I hold it, the iron will steam - it's fabulous for my dresses and gowns. But I think the gravity feed will do the same thing. The point is that you have a good iron now, and can use the Rowenta as a back up or at least to remind you how good a fine iron can be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Leaving it on for hours'?!?! Global warming! I despair when I read what people like you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am I missing something? Why would I spend 100 bucks on a iron every year? I have a $30 Braun I got at Target 6 years ago and it still works great. When I need more steam, I use a spray bottle and a wet cloth. Ok :) I don't do any wool work...yet...I may change my tune when I start in on luscious wool fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE my gravity feed. Did not want a hook in the ceiling so I bought an IV stand from a medical supply store to hang the water reservoir. Now I just wheel it to wherever I'd like to iron...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an alterations business. I have had my iron for 8 years. I used a single arm clothing stand to hang my bottles and it worked great. I will never ever again purchase a department store iron!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  13. I got a gravity feed lets see.....OMG about 8 years ago. I can't believe I've had it that long. It still works great and I only spent about $100 on it. It's one of my best sewing investments.

    I'm noticing the steam output isn't as great as it used to be and I'm suspecting it's from calcium build up or something.
    It's important to keep the filter clean. Also sometimes if I go a long period without sewing, the water gets funky inside and smells like a fish tank. I'll just dump it and replace it but keep the filter in place.

    On the higher settings, my handle can tend to get hot. I've also burned my knuckle once or twice on the temperature dial. So just beware of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She's 'leaving it on for hours' so that she can use it! It's not just sitting there unused. At least she's purchased an item that's not disposable. There's something to be said for that. I think there are more appropriate places to have your global warming rant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. EXACTLY!!!!
    When people like us (sewers), leave things like irons on all day it means we are WORKING!!!! (all day). You don't turn the thing on to iron a seam and then turn it off for a minute to sew another seam and then turn on the iron again. And by the way, turning it on and off all day waiting for it to heat up over and over would probably waste tons more energy than having it on and ready every 3 to 10 minutes when you need the thing to be hot and steam ready. So go someplace else and grumble at people for wasting energy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does anyone have recommendations for a gravity feed iron. I have one at work and want one for my home, but there are so many and I love to hear reviews on the different brands. It seems they all offer the same things. Are there any made in the US? I, too, am fed up with Rowenta irons, so expensive and they spit all over your fabric and garments.

    ReplyDelete