Follow along as I sew what I wear, cook and garden.
Monday, April 26, 2010
IT'S BEEN AWHILE
Never again. No contests or wardrobe plans for me. It seems that I get less sewing done when I do one of these big plans, or even the mini wardrobe contest, or the latest lined jacket contest for that matter. Sometimes I just don't want to sew what I've planned so I procrastinate. So, no more. That doesn't mean I won't make plans, because I like to do that, but sewing is supposed to be a hobby and fun and having to complete it by a certain date or a precise list to sew is just not fun.
This pair of pants and top were part of my original wardrobe plan. They have been done for awhile except for the hems. They sat here for at least 2 weeks waiting. Why? I just lost interest? Who knows, but here they are. If you remember I was inspired by Celine's minimalist silk top, but I made it in rayon lycra jersey that I had on hand, and is much more practical for my life. The pants are a narrowed version of my tnt pants. These are not a tnt version let me tell you! If I narrow the hems this much I get wrinkles in the back leg because of my pancake ass. I thought that I could fix it without a muslin. Big mistake. They are over fitted and do not feel good in back. You know that phrase wearable muslin? No such animal. If I had made a muslin of these I would have fixed the problems ahead of time. I really should know better. The top is a version of Vogue 8497 that I cut apart to get the color blocks. This is the pattern I used for my zebra print top. I hadn't used it with the zig zag pieces, but rather, had put it together to get a one piece front and back. Easy top, but maybe not my most flattering look.
As I am sure you've all noticed, I cut my hair. It's the beginning of growing out my color. I have been going gray since I was 18 and coloring it since I was 26. A long time and I have had enough. I really like the short hair, and boy is it easy!
In other sewing, I've been making welt pocket samples for my jacket. (also sewing the green knit top from that wardrobe plan) The pockets are made over the butted together opening at the base of the dart. I made 4 double welt samples before I realized that they wouldn't work for this jacket, or at least the way I was making them. I needed to copy the dart and pocket opening onto muslin so that I had a facsimile of the jacket front. Then I made 4 samples of single welt pockets (this is what the jacket actually calls for ) in a version from Claire Schaeffer's book Sew Any Set-In Pocket. Burda's instructions are not useless, but too bulky with separate welts and pocket bags. In the method I'm using the upper pocket bag forms the welt. It works, but I prefer marking the back side and sewing from there. One, I don't have to remove the marks on the front and two, I can mark it more accurately with a sharp pencil. In the black jacket I'll use a white interfacing for the pocket stay so that I can see the marks.
Here's the last sample I made. You'll notice that the side of the pocket is sewn into the side seam. I'll make one or two more samples before I make the jacket. Kathleen Fasanella says that 10 samples are the minimum for beginning to get muscle memory for a task. I'd say that that's about right. It seems like a lot, but I haven't made them all at once and it is actually kind of fun to realize that each one is not only better, but starting to feel good when I sew it, if that makes any sense.
I have been sewing since I was a teenager, mostly self taught. I sew for myself, with some some occasional sewing for my daughter. I love garment sewing and will only sew home dec if desperate. I love to cook and read and try to avoid cleaning as much as possible.