Friday, June 3, 2011

Do You Get Excited About New Sewing Notions?

Atlanta Thread had a sale last month and I took advantage.   I bought the prosaic, some thread and shoulder pads.  Kenneth King likes their needle punch pads.  Then came the biggie, well moderately big, I bought a new cutting mat.  A very large cutting mat, 4'x8', that then needed a new table top to support it.  I had a 2'x 8' hollow core door from my previous sewing room. Fortunately we hadn't thrown it out.  My dh  bought me another door, 3x 8' so that I now have a 5' wide table.  Of course the doors are a nominal 8' so he's going to add a piece of wood at one end so that my lovely new mat won't hang over the edge.  This means I can cut out a 60" wide piece of fabric in a single lay without it falling off the side of my table. Of course I had to rearrange the room, get rid of my lounge chair, which was only a repository for fabric anyway, and I turned the table  90 degrees.  We set the top with an overhang on one side deep enough to comfortably in a chair. I can easily work on either side of the table, which is particularly useful for tracing patterns.  I love it!

My new jacket fabric from Emmaonesock came yesterday and  it's laid out, ready for  graining up my silk organza jacket underlining.  I can even use the counter behind me for rulers and notions I am using.

The pants part of this outfit are coming along nicely with the pants shell finished and the lining is cut out ready to sew.  I was hoping to get it done by yesterday, but work intervened.

17 comments:

  1. I think hollow core doors make the best cutting table tops! The only problem with mine is that I have access on only two sides. Bummer. As soon as my dd gets her own place (sometime in the very, very distant future) I'm taking over her bedroom for my larger, new & improved sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I was excited about my new set of quick turn tools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A: Yes (I do)!
    How fab, I've never even seen 4'x8' mat (2440mm x 1220mm in metric). To have a cutting table that size would be heaven - you're lucky girl :)

    My Hubby and I are installing my first ever cutting table into the spare bedroom this weekend it's a table top from Ikea (150x75cm / 4'11" x 2'5.5") which I'm attaching to the wall with hinges so i can fold it out of the way when not in use (it's a tiny room!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an exciting cutting layout you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally don't get excited by notions...but a 4' x 8' cutting mat would make my day. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing you aren't too close to me because I'd be over at your house all the time! Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cutting area you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it.
    Want it.
    I will have to be happy with my little "studio"........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing space is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm drooling over your sewing space, generally. And BTW a 4x8 cutting mat must be more than a "notion". It's at least a seriously good idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! What a setup! I didn't know they made mats that big. I am so glad your mojo is back. I am sure the glorious mat contributed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific sewing space! My sewing room is my favorite place. My sanctuary. My stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I do, and particularly something like this that is so fabulous that it's almost a necessity. I had the chance to get a large table for my studio, but alas no room...you lucky devil!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crap!

    I've just had the realisation that your cutting table is over twice the size of my entire sewing room! :O

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, I cut everything out in front of the tv on the floor, sitting "Indian style". :D (That means I"m pretty green with envy over your lovely setup!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mom, I think your sewing studio is bigger than my entire apartment. :-P Looks awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sewing space is to die for!

    ReplyDelete