Follow along as I sew what I wear, cook and garden.
Friday, July 22, 2011
It's been over a month since I last posted. Between work and getting my outfit finished, something had to give and blogging was it. I finished my outfit for my nieces wedding, flew out to California went to the wedding and we are back. It was a lovely wedding and the bride was gorgeous.
When I decided to make a 3 piece outfit I figured I'd get more wear out of it than I would a cocktail dress, and I can see breaking it up to wear the pants with a cashmere sweater, the jacket over more casual pieces. The tank under a sweater. You get the picture.
This jacket was a pita to make. I don't know why. I made a muslin for it and carefully hand basted the silk organza underlining on the seam lines. The problems started with setting in the sleeves. They are a 3 piece raglan. If you think it's hard to set in a set in sleeve they are a cinch compared to these. The neckline is supposed to be in line with the lapel edge. I had a lot of trouble doing that and if you look at the pattern pieces and how they go together, it doesn't line up that way. Of course in the muslin I didn't add the facings. Big mistake here. In the end the object was just to get it done, and I did. I like it, but the low neckline, even though I took out a lot in the lapel really wants to open up over my bust. Open, you don't notice it.
I do love the pants. They are a 4 ply silk crepe lined with silk twill. They fit beautifully and are comfortable to wear. The jacket is a washed lame in some blend from Emmaonesock. The silk jersey for the tank also came from EOS. The trim was a serendipitous purchase at Mood when Claire Kennedy and I were doing our whirlwind shopping tour of the garment district. We were in the trim section at Mood and I mentioned to Claire that I'd really like to trim the tank and looking down there was the perfect trim.
I'd never used a trim like this before but it wasn't hard to do. I did need a wider binding than this method calls for; 2" instead of 1 3/8". It's easiest to hand baste the trim first and I used a zipper foot to attach the binding. I used my tnt t shirt pattern to make this tank top. I lowered the neckline, and added to the front armhole so as not to be too exposed. If I remember correctly, I also added a bit to the outer shoulder. I bound both the neckline and the armholes using Lynn Maynard's method. It really makes a flat, neat finish and the interfacing helped support the weight of the trim.
Here's a picture of my gorgeous niece.
Next up is finishing a top I didn't finish before we left and a summer dress. Maybe a couple more t shirts to finish out the summer as well.
I have been sewing since I was a teenager, mostly self taught. I sew for myself, with some some occasional sewing for my daughter. I love garment sewing and will only sew home dec if desperate. I love to cook and read and try to avoid cleaning as much as possible.