I decided to enter the Pattern Review mini wardrobe contest. I haven't made it official yet, nor have I made a storyboard up, but it's a great way to jump start my sewing mojo. I always think that I will sew more in the summer than I do. Without ac my sewing room can get hellishly warm and I don't work well in the heat. Fortunately, it's cooled off and I am working again. I finished 2 out of the four pieces required for the contest. On Saturday in fact and wore them Sunday to a family birthday party on the lower east side.
I've had this leopard print fabric for awhile now and the success of my black and white brocade pants was a deciding factor in making pants out of it. I love them and got complements. I need more tnt patterns! Sewing becomes so much less involved when you always have a lot of fitting alterations. I did make some style changes to the pattern. Narrow pants are very big right now and have been for awhile. Skinny cropped pants are not for me, but straight narrow pants look modern and slimming. I took in 1/2" front and back, inseam and out, at both the hem and the knee and then blended the seams for a total reduction of 2" at hem and knee. I still have enough ease at the calf so that I don't get the fabric hanging up there and it still hangs nicely in back. The second piece is another Giorgio's top, which makes 3 for that pattern. I haven't blogged about the yellow silk jersey version. This fabric is another double layer textured knit from Emmaonesock. I love these fabrics.
I made another muslin of my Hot Patterns moto jacket and the verdict was to scratch it. Even after KK had altered it. I really just didn't like it on me and it needed even more changes. So on to plan B. I took out the pattern for my Oscar de la Renta knock off motorcycle jacket of a few years
ago and used everything but the collar and the center front.
Burda 12/09 110
I took the center front from Burda 12_09 110 and lengthened the whole pattern to mid hip instead of high hip. I decided to narrow the overlap so that while it is still off center it doesn't go all the way to the princess seam. I felt that with my fba the seam was just too curvy
That seam on me is very curvy for inserting a zipper. I added another seam on the left underlap for the zipper. I also raised the gorge line on the lapel, making it more horizontal and the zipper comes up higher before the lapel breaks. Using Sarah Veblen's HBL on my muslin I realized that it dipped on the sides in the back, or rather the center was high. Age has set in and I need a rounded back alteration. Not drastic, but it straightened out the line. I also have found lately that I end up with my side seam flaring to the back. I had Seth hold a plumb line to my side seam at the underarm and he marked where it hit my hip. The back hem needed an inch removed and added it to the front.
The fourth piece will be Burda 135 5/12, a white blouse with a convertible collar with long sleeves. I think that I am going to use black piping to trim it. I've never done piping before, can you believe it? and it's been on my list of techniques to learn. The white fabric is a luxurious cotton from B & J. A definite splurge. My fba made the side dart way too big and so I rotated part of the side dart into a vertical one so that the fabric isn't falling from my bust. Much more flattering. I added back darts, but I think I will leave them unsewn. I don't want it to be too fitted. I added a center back seam so that I could alter for the rounded back and I shaped the cb seam
at the waist at the same time.
My fifth piece, the key piece that can be made ahead, is a pair of black cotton pants I made last spring.
Today's To Do List includes cutting and sewing up another muslin for my leather jacket and washing the white blouse fabric. Fortunately I remembered that I had never washed it. Woops.