Saturday, March 28, 2015

Color In My Wardrobe

Over the last few years color in my wardrobe has slowly been if not eliminated, then become very limited.  I buy little fabric on impulse anymore, which is  a good thing!  What I sew is less impulsive as well. Everything I sew has to be purposeful and fit within my wardrobe. Not just for economy, but because I really don't like a large wardrobe.  I made another Girogio top in December in black merino wool.  I wear that more than anything else.  I could wear it every day but that's getting kind of obsessive!  What I really need to do is find another pattern that I like as much. 
I've been reading the Vivienne Files introduced to me by Myrna at myrnagiesbrecht.com/.
especially the starting from scratch wardrobe building.  It's not specifically the clothes she picked, which on their own are a bit on the boring side. Then again I sew things that are kind of boring, at least lately. What I like is how she mixes 2 main neutrals with accent colors and how she balances the wardrobe. She uses the accent colors and accessories to give the wardrobe some pizzazz and style. A wardrobe is after all things that will last and work together so that you can easily get dressed in the morning! I like to think of this in a landscape analogy; you can't build a landscape out of accent or eye catching plants. It all has to work together in layers with underlying structure.  The plants together form a beautiful whole and make a garden.

 Most of us aren't building a wardrobe from scratch myself included, but I've just weeded out my closet and what's left is a good starting point.  My main neutrals are black and gray.  I need three accent colors to add to it and that is where I waffle.  Vivienne used red, white and cobalt blue for her accents.  I never think to wear red, but I bought new glasses in red and a new bright red lipstick.  It's the perfect red, neither blue nor orange. So obviously I like how red accents look on me.  I have three pieces of fabric with a nice medium blue in it.  But I also love acid green and I have two pieces of fabric in that color. Nothing in red.  Which, obviously can easily be solved!  I don't like scarves unless it's cool out, and I don't like them hiding necklaces I like to wear.   I just remembered that I have red linen pants.  Perhaps I need a list of what is already in my closet! 
I've been doing  a lot of wardrobe planning lately with lots of pinning, lists and sketches on my croquis.  It's fun, but I need to get to the sewing part.

How do you treat color in your wardrobe?  Are you very strict or do you find yourself buying on impulse and then having nothing that works together?


15 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting when people analyze their wardrobe and create combinations. For me black is an accent piece, and I think people should wear less black, especially if you can sew and thus choose more colors. with your hair color I think any of the lavendar or purplish blues would look really great. My wardrobe is almost entirely color, I would say that for summer the color turquoise is my basis and I like everything to work around that. hot pink, coral, any jewel tones. I do notice I have a lot of stuff that does not go with anything else - but it doesn't bother me and jeans and/or denim jackets go with anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of colour and next to no black and definitely no white. I do have grey and my "colours" are not bright. Lots of blue/green/teal. I do like stone/grey/beige for neutrals. Most of my wardrobe co ordinates. I like variety and don't think I could follow Vivienne's restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not following any specific method but I fid clear out my closet and divide it into spring/summer and fall/winter.

    I love color :) my neutrals are grey and blue. And I really love the green-blue shades; like teal. I like orange and yellow but don't wear much. Hardly any pink or red. I wish I had more white. Not nearly enough white in my closet.

    I think taking stock of your closet is the right first step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have black, grey and navy as my basics. I enjoy a classic red, some purple/aubergine/marsala and all the blues! White becomes more of basic in summer, but I could always include more. I have loved browns - instead of grey as a basic but that seems to be changing. Whenever I want a sharp edge I wear black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have black and grey as my neutrals too, but a lot of bright colour in my wardrobe too. I don't have nearly enough navy. I love navy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love color!, but get stuck sewing way too many neutrals especially black. I'd love to be more adventurous with incorporating color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My neutrals are black and beige and white. Is three OK? The black and beige are my bottomweight colors, skirts, pants. The white is always a top or shirt as I love white shirts. I like the accent of the white shirt with print pants or a print skirt. My accent colors are definitely red (which I think would be wonderful with your gorgeous hair, Nancy) and intense indigo blues. I really need to focus on my wardrobe and making it work more intelligently. I like this notion of the two neutrals and accents. I think a bit of seasonal clothing changeover will remove a few things from the closet and I can do a wardrobe regroup. Thanks for the reminder, Nancy, and the good ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the process of losing a lot of weight, and am having a ton of fun planning a new wardrobe. First of all, I'm really torn about taking in my old clothes--I made most of them, love the fabric, and can pretty easily take them in. But I've been seduced by the Loes Hinse website--I love the ease and class of her designs and colors, and the spotlight they throw on jewelery and accessories. My neutrals are grey and black with a little dark brown and navy--absolutely no beige or tan, which I look awful in. I'm thinking teal and royal blue and moss green and purple as well as white and a little pink. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun topic. I think most of us are thinking "Spring" and want more color. I wear way too much black in the winter months so I'm changing it up for warmer weather. My new neutral is mint green. I know that sounds crazy but I love all shades of the green/blue spectrum as these colors look flattering with my pale skin and auburn hair. I'm wearing turquoise and orange-stoned jewelry so I consider them my accents along with some white pants and tops. Who says a neutral has to be a typical standard. I definitely think you should add red to your wardrobe or the right shade of lavendar as other posters have suggested. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend with your coloring and she looks amazing in those colors.

      Delete
  10. This has been on my mind, too. I wear a ton of black, navy & grey but not because they are my most flattering colors. They fit my lifestyle. I sewed some new T shirts using a red knit from Marcy Tilton. I keep trying to love this fabric (I bought 5 yards of it several years ago) but when I pass by a mirror, I startle myself. ;) I would love to be like Beth and embrace color but I've come to believe I just don't like to draw that much attention to myself. I love subtle details and beautiful fabrics. I have decided to work on my problem by adding soft pink and lots of lighter blues. They are pretty without freaking me out. A first step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind drawing attention to myself, but I see gray and black as more sophisticated perhaps, more 'New York'. I also like the simplicity of a wardrobe that is easy to mix and match 'having a lot of colors means having to have a wardrobe that is larger than I want. That's what appealed to me about the 2 neutrals and 3 accent colors. Of course this is a hypothetical wardrobe from scratch. I think that aside from what I've pinpointed needing in my wardrobe, I also want a couple of 'wow' pieces. Those speaking pieces that need to have a supporting cast.

      Delete
  11. Before I started sewing my wardrobe was mostly black and white. Sewing introduced an undisciplined frenzy of prints that can make you feel like you have a lot of clothes but nothing to wear. Trying to limit my palette now to black, white, cream, khaki, navy, red and orange. But I still have lots of other colours in stash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I try to limit the amount of color in my wardrobe. I like wearing neutrals(black,grey and denim) and don't see it as boring at all. I do, in the spring get antsy for a bit of color though and do little bits of it and like wearing colorful work out and outdoor gear. For me, I just don't feel comfortable in head to toe bright color for daily wear. I also like a more mix and match approach to my clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, I've only seen you in photos, but think you must look great in red. It would be a good choice for you.

    Myself, I'm only comfortable in a narrow range of colors and really feel best in neutrals. Too boring for many, but best for me. 😊

    ReplyDelete