Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Latest Pants Finished

Now that I have a good tnt pants pattern to work from sewing a pair of pants is a pretty simple thing.  I don't have to play with fit so I've been concentrating on finish.  I sew a simple pair of pants without details at the hip or waist.  With my full high hip and pear shaped figure I don't want to add any bulk to that area, hence simple pants.  What I have been working on is getting the inside to look nicer.  I don't sew a zipper facing.  I don't like the bulk.  I do like using petersham to face my waistbands.  Especially in wool it's is very comfortable.  I interface the outer band with fusible weft leaving it out of the seam allowances which gives a firm straight edge to press the top seam allowance down. when I press under the outer edge  and it  helps line up the petersham as well.  The fabric is a wool and lycra houndstooth from Mood. 


You'll notice that the waistband is extended with the end turned back so that that edge will be finished.  I've lined up the petersham, which is 2" wide, just below the pressed fold.  Both ends of the waistband are extended so that the seam is not at the end of the band.  This gives a flatter, crisper finish.  It's best to make sure that the underlap side is a bit shallower than the overlap so that it is covered when you fasten the pants.  There are several different construction orders for sewing pants, but my order is as follows:
Sew darts and fly front.  Then I sew the inseam and baste the rest of the center back.  I pin the outseams and try it on with some 1" elastic.  I'd be better off having a muslin waistband to baste on, which I plan on making up to have in the studio.  After adjusting the fit (every fabric seems to fit a bit differently) I undo the back basting and sew up the side seams.  I apply the waistband in two pieces sewing the outer band to my pants.  Then I apply the petersham.  I sew the centerback next from the previous sttiching to the top of the unfolded petersham.  I fold it down and stitch in the ditch.. Sew on hooks and hem.  Done.
I actually finished these a couple of weeks ago and have been wearing them quite a bit.  They are  comfortable as well as a being a good fit.  Of course, isn't that part of fitting well?

I have to give credit to Lindsay for her instructions on how to photograph your clothing on the  flat.  I didn't drop out the outside though.  To lazy to spend the time in Photoshop.  I used a roll of white paper and laid it out under the skylight in my sewing room, a footstool placed me high enough above the pants.

13 comments:

  1. A pants pattern I used once (I can't remember what pattern is was) directed me to use bias binding to finish the bottom edge of the waistband facing. I really liked the look and vowed to use that technique to finish ALL of my waistband facings. For some reason, I haven't done that. But, this post has inspired me to revisit the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, they look great. Thanks for all the extra details on the waistband and sequence of sewing steps. I like the photography technique, too. Where does the straight grain of fabric occur in your pattern? We've been discussing pants fitting on a thread over at Stitchers Guild and it has gotten me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to have a pants tnt pattern. I am taking not of all your techniques for finishing, but I still have to work out a good fitting pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pair of pants and so beautifully made. I really must work on fitting a pants pattern for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rundown on how you constructed these is great. I need to hit pantsmaking again after the holidays. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, good to hear that it's comfortable wearing too, as I do have the same fabric as you know. Now for a tnt pattern and then try a few of your finishing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully made and thank you for the instructions. Everytime I see a great pair of pants in blogland I resolve to work on some well fitted pants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking pants. I really need to get back to working on pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for awesome pants! I hope mine turn out as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your techniques. The pants look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it fun to play with pants now?....They take nothing to make up once you have a killer pattern and even when some of the variations don't work out, doesn't matter they still fit and that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pants are great, and your finishing inside looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete