Monday, July 11, 2016

Finally Figured Out How to Make an FBA In a Dior Dart!

I knew I had seen how to alter a Dior dart somewhere, but I combed my fitting books, and I have a lot of them!   Could not find it anywhere.  Finally this post from from Cenetta of The Mahogany Stylist on how to make an fba with the new or newish, Y dart made me remember that I hadn't looked in Palmer/Pletsch's Full Busted DVD, which is where I found it.  I've also been playing around with moving darts and dividing my very large dart into multiple darts. It's fun and kind of empowering not to be tied to that very large dart my DD bust needs.



In case you don't know what a Dior dart is, it's a short dart from a side panel. Burda often uses them and Hot Patterns used it for their new Montpelier dress which I am making.


As you can see, this dress has a side panel which extends as the under sleeve for this dolman sleeve, if that's what you call this cut on sleeve?  But, regardless It has a side panel with a dart in the front panel. The side panel is far from the bust apex.  A princess seam would run over the apex or close to the apex of the bust.  Here is an example of how Dior used it in the 2015 Spring collection. 


I love this example with the top stitching.  I turned my single Dior dart into two to make them smaller.  Jennifer Lawrence had a dress on  that had three small darts from a side panel that was very attractive too. It really molded the bust beautifully.

My alteration of the Montpelier dress looks like this, showing how  I've divided the dart into two, but I am going to make two front versions one with one dart and one with two as it is here to see which I like better.  I also shortened the dress since this is a very awkward length on me, to just below the knee.

Here's  the Y dart I made. Because I have a low bust I made a smaller Y section, about 1/2" with the remainder, about 1" in the side dart, because it widens the upper chest  where I am not wide.  The sleeve gets cut off in this type of sleeve so that you can make the second part of the fba like you would in a regular armscye. Then it gets re attached and any opening filled in with paper.  This is smaller than the usual fba I make.  But, when I tissue fit it this is the width I needed.  It remains to be seen if this sews up well in a muslin. 


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Nancy. I learn something too. I've seen the Dior dart in many garments, but did not know it was called a Dior dart. Thanks again and good luck with your project and dart manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read, Share and follow the instructions on how to get cured from HSV1&2. I got a diagnosis of HSV1&2 March this year and I have been taking pills to prevent an outbreak. I never stop searching for a cure because I strongly believe that there is something somewhere that can get rid of it completely and in August this year, I ran through some comments on Youtube about Dr Osato herbal cure and a lot of people commented about him having the herbs that can get rid of herpes completely. I was excited and I contacted Dr Osato and ordered the cure for myself and he sent it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to take it which I rightly followed and behold I went for checkup after two weeks of taking the herbs and my result shows NEGATIVE. My doctor confirmed with me that I am totally clear from HSV1&2. You can as well contact Dr Osato to get the herbal cure from him. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. Dr Osato also have the cure for the following virus/diseases HIV, HPV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER of any kind, GENITAL HERPES, COLD SORE, VAGINAL INFECTION, ECT. His website is https://osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com 

      Delete
  2. Happy you found the solution. Looking forward to your version of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really interested in the Dior dart - I hope you'll share more on this method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. I am preparing to trace this dress and I didn't have a clue where to begin with this dart. I appreciate the head start and am excited to see how your alteration works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Nancy! I didn't know what the "Dior Dart" was either! We're always learning something new! Full bust adjustments fun? I have yet to perfect this process! (Insert sad face here!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other Beauty Write For Us 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read, Share and follow the instructions on how to get cured from HSV1&2. I got a diagnosis of HSV1&2 March this year and I have been taking pills to prevent an outbreak. I never stop searching for a cure because I strongly believe that there is something somewhere that can get rid of it completely and in August this year, I ran through some comments on Youtube about Dr Osato herbal cure and a lot of people commented about him having the herbs that can get rid of herpes completely. I was excited and I contacted Dr Osato and ordered the cure for myself and he sent it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to take it which I rightly followed and behold I went for checkup after two weeks of taking the herbs and my result shows NEGATIVE. My doctor confirmed with me that I am totally clear from HSV1&2. You can as well contact Dr Osato to get the herbal cure from him. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. Dr Osato also have the cure for the following virus/diseases HIV, HPV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER of any kind, GENITAL HERPES, COLD SORE, VAGINAL INFECTION, ECT. His website is https://osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com 

    ReplyDelete