Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bad Bloggger

Why haven't I been blogging you ask?  When I got home from the PR day I couldn't put any weight on my foot.  I'd been having some issues but after a day of walking and then sitting on the train for over an hour I  was pretty much incapacitated from a raging case of plantar faciitis    I have been to the podiatrist, gotten two cortisone injections so far, done the exercises and rested.  I am still unable to walk around Costco without coming home to ice.  It is getting better.  I am not limping today.

I have been sewing.  What you ask?  Pants. I am on my third pair and they fit!  If you'll remember  I have written a lot about my frustration with pants fitting.  I can tinker endlessly fine tuning the fit, but basically I really, finally have a tnt pattern that I can lay down, cut out and sew up.  How did I get here?  Not on my own.  After seeing a comment that Claire Kennedy had left on PR on yet another query of why don't these pants fit, I  contacted her and asked her to look at the pants I had recently posted here.  What I got in return from her was a long wonderful e mail with lots of information on what to do.  She teaches pants fitting classes and she has a wonderful eye and knows how to fix what she sees.  I sent her photos of these pants and  she sent me more information, including a video on how to figure out how  your pants are hanging on your body.  This was very informative because  I realized that somehow my side seam was no longer hanging plumb.  When I  fixed it, that nagging weird pleat at my center front disappeared. 


My side seam was hanging to the back by about 1 1/2" at the hem.  I used a plumb line held at the side seam at the waist  (after choosing to move the seam to the front by about  3/8" and letting it hang to the hem.  My dh marked where it hit the hem. (these are pinned up so that they didn't hit the floor.)  I transferred this to my pattern and adjusted it.
The black lines are how I moved the seams.  I folded the leg in half lining up the inseam and out and marked the new grainline.   You'll notice the change.   This balancing the leg is very important to getting your pants to hang correctly as well.  Thank you Claire! 
I'll post some photos of my new pants next time.

Enough on pants!   It must be two years ago now that I bought some  real Burberry raincoat fabric and the lining from Michael's Fabric. I even bought some gorgeous red cashmere blend for a button out lining.  But I couldn't find a pattern that I wanted to make.  There are plenty of double breasted trenchcoat patterns out  there but I couldn't find a single breasted one with a lapel.  Until this morning!   The September issue of La Mia Boutique had exactly what I was looking for so you can bet I ordered it from Around the World  pdq before they sold out.  They've even have  a special on shipping for $3, so a bargain.  Hepi Press has a preview of the issue. Couldn't get a direct photo link, but it's #5 if you click through page by page.  Actually a cool preview with a good zoom feature.

I also traced out the new Hot Patterns Aphrodite draped t and couldn't figure out how the draping lines up.  I emailed Trudy and got a phone cal from Jeremy and a diagram of how to do it.    The first, single notch is match to the first of the next double notch and so on.  Not hard, but I couldn't figure it out.

17 comments:

  1. How nice that the HotPatterns team is so responsive! they are always helpful when I ask questions too. Good for them. I love that top too, but haven't made one yet. Congratulations on your pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good arch support changed my life. I went through the same issues with my feet you are going through. It took me months to get it under control and I had to get all new shoes; mostly Mephistos worked for me, but there are other good brands too. I just want you to know that you will get better.

    I still haven't resolved my fitting problems with pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy - I was wondering if everything was okay with you. Sorry about your foot problem and happy to hear that you are feeling better. Congratulations on figuring out the fitting problems for your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you've been having foot trouble, but I'm glad it's beginning to improve.

    I'm sending a huge thank you your way. I also have that fabric and lining and desperately need a new coat. Being height-challenged, I wasn't sure a double-breasted style would work for me, and like you, I hadn't found a single-breasted pattern. I've placed my order for the La Mia Boutique as well. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you're feeling better, I missed your posts. How wonderful to have a pattern you can now take up, cut and sew. Saves a lot of time. And of course looking forward to the coat. Looks like a great pattern.
    I have traced the 3 graces t-shirt yesterday evening, will be my first hotpatterns pattern. But I'll first finish two other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your feet. I have been suffering with Plantar Fasciatis for over a year myself. First I lost 25 lbs, this helped some (I must admit that I have gained back 7 lbs.) Next, I finally got custom made orthopedic insterts this August. These have made a real difference. It's been a long and *expensive* journey, and now I can only wear clunky shoes. On the up-side, my feet are feeling better and I am able to walk my kids to school (I walk about 2 miles a day on average during the week.) I was told that the plantar fasciatis was a consequence of the biomechanics of my feet, and without corrective inserts I will just keep aggravating my situation. Good luck finding a resolution with yours. You have my complete and utter sympathy!

    As for your pants, what a coup! I am still on a quest for flattering, well fitting pants myself. Thank you for posting all the details about your pants adjustments. It's good to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad blogger? As if! Sorry to hear about the plantar fasciatis. As a runner I know that can really be painful.

    Looks like you've been busy though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were so charming on PR shopping day I had no idea you were in so much pain. I'm glad to hear you are recovering.

    The pants DO look great. I wonder if Claire could help with the wrinkle I get in my shoulder?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have discovered that I can wear Keen brand of shoes without any orthopedic supports for my plantar fasciatis. But of course they are not beautiful, but not all that klunky. They have some nice sandals and general work shoes. A friend has also found that this is the only brand she can wear without activating her similar foot problems. I just went on their web site and discovered that they have just come out with some winter boots... there may be a pair in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my poor mommy! As a fellow sufferer, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have this arch support brace that goes on my foot that I wear when it starts acting up (I think you bought it for me actually?).

    The pants look FABULOUS! No wrinkles! Amazing. Obviously Claire Kennedy is the most fabulous being ever.

    Rad on the trench coat. Such a must have! I still adore and wear the black one you bought me for my birthday a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A pants-fitting victory! As one hobbled seamstress to another, I feel your pain. Hope your foot feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was concerned about you and just knew something was happening. I hope you get the foot thing cleared up soon and permanantly.

    Your pants look great. Claire has helped me several times and is a generous, caring soul who knows so much about fit and sewing. She is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, I am so sorry to hear you've been in so much pain!
    Your pants look just fabulous! Brilliant of Claire to figure it out.
    And thanks for the link to Around the World. I had no idea where to buy an issue of LMB.
    Hope your foot is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear of your foot problems. Hope they resolve quickly. The pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy, thanks for letting me know to look at Sawyer Brook for buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow - before you know it, you will know how to do everything and won't need me anymore!!! Only kidding. Actually, this is the penultimate of sewing...all you will need to worry about now is fabric! Congratulations

    Oh-feet! We think so little of them till they don't work, and then they are everything. Hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on the pants! And i hope your feet are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete