Monday, February 15, 2010

A Pass

Thanks everyone for your input.  Nope, I'm not buying it.  For two reasons, one that Brigitte pointed out, it's not my style!  Duh!  I am not a romantic dresser, and this one has that floaty, romantic quality that I would pass by if I were in a store.  The second,as my lovely daughter pointed out, it would add twenty pounds by falling straight off my rather large bust.She made the same point about herself.  Thin she may be, but she has a large bust too.  Maybe it's partly that Hot Patterns has the best illustrations  that make me believe that I can look  fabulous in their designs, and hey sometimes they  really  do that!  Just not this one.  Don't let me stop you from buying this, but be honest about why you want it and if it has those qualities that will make it flattering on you.  Here's a great little post for dressing the plus sized woman.  While I am not plus sized, I am at the upper end of regular sizing and I thought that this was appropriate for me too.  Inside Out Style    I have Imogen on my blog roll, but for some reason the link dies.  She has a great blog, so check it out.          .
I've been making progress on Alex's jacket, but I've been a little under the weather and haven't been sewing all that much.  All that remains is to  finish the lining and sew it into the finished jacket shell.  The jacket is a Burda petite which is good, but it is shorter in length only.  I don't think of Alex as having narrow shoulders, but I did have to narrow the shoulders, and regular hangers are too big for it.  Fortunately I had some kiddie hangers left hanging around.  They are a bit too small, but better than nothing.  Alex is a Burda size  17 in petite or a 34 in regular sizes.  I have to make an fba for her and then take in the waist.  We had a skype chat yesterday and I held up the jacket for her.  She was excited, now I have to finish it and send it off.  


 

6 comments:

  1. Right decision about the pattern I think, for both reasons.
    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think you are right about buying the pattern for yourself and the illustrations on Hot Patterns. I took a close look on their website and made the same decision you did about this one. Besides, I already have lots of unused patterns, including ones from Hot Patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the illustrations, they're fabulous, 9-head, runway versions.
    Hope you're up and running soon. My computer just decided to black out 1/3 of the screen- couldn't be more ill-timed as I'm off to NYC Friday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm, yes, I think the illustrations get people in. Often the styles are not that different than regular big 4 or Burda, yet people think they must have them.
    Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jacket is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE. So so so cute.

    Also, hope you feel better soon mom. ~hug~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link and love Nancy! You're right about the pleats, if they were sewed closed and went past your bust they could work. I tend to find though that larger busts need fitting below the bust - bring the fabric back in closer to your body, rather than hanging from the bust.

    ReplyDelete