Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Dress? Not Happening


My drafting skills are just not that good and while, not a wadder, it's taking up  entirely too much of my limited  time considering the amount of time I have left to make the main event, the three pieces for the wedding itself.  I have other things I can wear after all.  I'll play with it when we come back.  In the meantime, in case I didn't mention it, the Vogue jacket is out and this Burda jacket 113 from 6/10 is in.  I am making the length of 114 and collarless. I also either will make the cuffs a little deeper.  I did have a picture  the short sleeve photo and a technical drawing.But Blogger. kept removing what I added or move it around beyond my control.  I added it removed. I gave up.  You'll notice I can't get this to print all the way across either.  I just gave up.


 

You can see from the muslin that the front is drooping. I managed to fix this by taking in the front princess seam and by pulling the lapel up, it is sewn into the shoulder seam. I also realized that the right shoulder pad was too deep.  I always add to the right shoulder but this was a bit too much.  The back needs to have a  sloping shoulder adjustment.  In a raglan sleeve you take out from the back and front piece where at the shoulder line.  I took out some inches from the front and added some to the back princess seam to go over my full high hip.  It  doesn't show so much in this picture, but Seth took a cellphone pic that really  shows it.  I added some extra and I can always take it in if I don't need it.  I am going to use covered buttons, probably the reverse side of my fabric.  It's been very hard to make up my mind which side I'll be using but the more metallic side is actually more subtle. (That's the one on the left) The side with the metallic ovals is really more obvious.




5 comments:

  1. You settled on a nice pattern, I remember this one from last year. I like the metallic side best myself, but both are good. I am not too good at adjustments, but I can see from you picture that the front almost looks like a size too big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, Nancy, I'd be heading to the store by now. I admire your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the style of this jacket so I do think that all the efforts you are making to get the fit right will be worth it. The fabric is lovely - the jacket will look very special, whichever side you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think raglan sleeves can be difficult to fit but don't give up just yet!

    Karen in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply love the fabric, on both sides. There might be a little bit too much in the front between shoulder and bust, but it might as well be the muslin fabric: it might change when you used the real fabric and interfacing. But really looking at this 3 days after your post it might well be that you have almost finished by now ;)

    ReplyDelete