Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Alex's Birthday Present


II bet you're wondering where my coat is?  It's in the closet unfinished where it is likely to remain until fall. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated, not just because of three muslins, but lack of focus falls in there too. I did manage to get a really good fit though.   I finally stopped because I had two projects I had to get done.  The first one is this top for Alex's birthday.  



She sent me an old t shirt that fit but was worn so that I could cut it up and make a pattern from it.  She picked this fabric out when she was home for Thanksgiving. It's a poly lycra knit from Gorgeous Fabrics that's been sitting in my stash for awhile. I did not see how the original t fit her, but this isn't too bad. The front has some gathers at cf but that's the only detail.  Obviously it's a simple sew and the only change I made was to the height of the armscye.  When I saw the pattern I realized that the front and back were the same height when the back armscye should be about a 1/2" longer than the front. I took off  1/4" from the front and added a 1/4" to the back.  She's happy with the t shirt and I'll make her at least one more.  

She always gives me a hard time about not getting things shipped in time so I got it shipped out priority mail last Monday.  It was supposed to arrive in Austin on Wednesday.  It did, just not in her box.  Her birthday was Friday the
 21st but she had to wait until Monday for the regular mail carrier to find it for her. Happy Birthday Alex!  

The second project took a lot more time than this one. I made 3 weighted blankets for my grandson Jakob.  I'll write about how to make them in my next post.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely fabrics, both for Alex's shirt and for the blanket. Special fabrics like this don't need a difficult pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cute tee, and the blankie is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shirt and the fabric is so soft! It's a definite upgrade from the Target tee that it replaced. 💗💗

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks so cute in her tee! And the blanket looks much loved. Very nice, both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Jakob is growing so fast! Alex's tee shirt is darling and fits beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a sweet top. Have a wonderful Pesach!

    ReplyDelete