Monday, November 9, 2009

PR Day in NYC

Johanna, me, and Cindy at Metro Textile. Thank you Peter for the pictures. I copied this from his posting, here of pictures of the day. Cindy and Tom organized the day and they did a great job, so a big thanks.
What a great day I had. It was so much fun to meet other sewers and people who read my blog! That was really a wonderful addition to the day. By the time I got to Metro Textiles at 10:30 it was jammed with people, but fun. Too much distraction for me to buy fabric there, but I can get in anytime so I was more interested in meeting everyone. After Metro we went down the street to Mood as Greenberg and Hammer was already committed to hosting the ASG group from Baltimore so we were scheduled for 12:15. They are the loveliest people and had drinks and cookies and goodie bags for all of us. Back to Mood, Eric, one of the owners, gave us a 10% discount because Rosie asked. I did buy a piece of fabric here, a gorgeous wool knit, I think that there is maybe some silk in it too because it has a really gorgeous shimmer on one side, in a deep green. It's better to hit Mood in the morning on a Saturday. Have you been there on a Saturday afternoon! The crowds are unbelievable. I do think that they've raised their prices. Emmaonesock buys some things here and in the past I've recognized distinctive pieces and the prices were always a few dollars cheaper. Saturday they were more money by a few dollars than Linda is charging. I don't need fabric, but I am always on the lookout for something that 'speaks' to me. Everyone was on the lookout for animal prints for me. There weren't many; either heinous, and suitable jokes were made about these, or polyester and I've sworn off polyester knits. They feel clammy to me in the winter and rip them off hot in the summer. I'll wear it in a blend, but not straight.
Next we headed off to Greenberg and Hammer and then lunch at a deli up the street that had tables upstairs. We put together about 6 tables for all of us. It was great. I sat near Terry and Liz and Peter, as well as several lovely people whose names I can't remember! I met a a lot of people whose names I can't remember! Maybe name tags wouldn't be a bad idea. It is really fun to talk to people about sewing and not have their eyes glaze over.
We went on to Paron, where I bought a piece of shirting and Lucy, who I have known for years, gave me a nice discount. I think that next time we should contact our favorite places and ask them if they will give a discount to PR that day. After that we went over to Rosen and Chaddick but nothing spoke to me there. We also went over to Pacific Trimming so that I could get another Riri zipper for my leather skirt. It was late by this time and Terry wanted to got to the Japanese bookstore opposite Bryant park. I had never been so I went along. They carry all those amazing Japanese pattern books. I am being good, so I didn't buy any, but I was tempted. Even in Japanese the illustrations are amazing. Twisted tops with the best pictures illustrating how to do it so that no words are necessary, even for twist challenge people like me. They do use the western alphabet for matching letters which makes it a little easier to navigate. They have those Bunka College design books that Cidell showed on her blog. Attention men who sew or women who sew for them! They have mens pattern books with very cool and stylish stuff. A whole book on coats and jackets with great illustrations. Of course you kind of have to be a small man or you'll have to grade them up a lot. Asian men tend to be smaller, not just in height but bone structure.
All in all, it was a great day and even the weather co-operated.
After that I was pooped and walked down to Penn to get the train home.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day - plus you got to show off your new jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy - it was great to meet you! I had *such* a fun day, as well. Johanna, Annette and I ended up at the Japanese bookstore at the end of the day as well. We headed upstairs for refreshments, so we probably just missed you and Terry. I was drooling over the "Pattern Magic" books. May put those on my list for Santa... (Rachel)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green fabric is totally gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you make out of it. Obviously, there will need to be pictures since I won't be here when you make it. ~pouty face~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful, meeting up with a lot of other sewist is such a great thing. Now I can speak with experience, having had the European PR weekend in this very weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that bookstore was there. The only one I went to was in Seattle with Christina. I'll have to stop there the next time I'm in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great to meet you on Saturday! And thank you for the advice about working with the boucle in my stash.

    I can't wait until you post about the leather skirt.

    Cheers,
    Tricia
    www.fivemuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Testing, testing. (I'm trying to fix things)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday, and I loved, loved, loved your jacket. Your top too from the Burda 12-2008 issue, since I justed added it to my list and picked out the fabric for it. Sorry I missed Pacific Trimmings and The Japanese Book Store. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you too.
    I think that I am going to make that top as a nightgown with long sleeves as I originally intended. At last year's PR day I bought some fabric from Kashi to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy loved the picture of you surrounded by all that fabric. The big smiles tell it all!

    ReplyDelete