Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wadder, ah well

I am glad I didn't cut my Three Graces crossover t in my good fabric. Mind you, it wasn't cheap fabric, but it was a bit thin for my taste. The crossover, which I finally got right, was lovely. I finally got it when I watched the direction that Trudy twisted seam D. After I sewed in the sleeves, I pinned the sides together and tried it on. The twist looked great, but I should have cut the shoulders and armscyes 2 sizes smaller at least, it was that big. It looked terrible. The fabric didn't like being ripped and so it's a wadder, my first in quite a while. I'll go back to this after the PR wardrobe contest is over, but not now. I made some drawings of my tops with my skirt pattern, and I went back to my BWOF 113 from 12/08 top that was in my plan, with the pleated front, but not in the silver rayon. It made me cold looking at it. I chose a gorgeous darker gray wool and lycra light weight jersey from Emmaonesock that had been in contention, and in my stash, from the beginning. Maybe I'll bind the neck in black velvet. Hmm.

ZIPPER ADVICE
I need some advice. I cut out my leather skirt and decided that I didn't want to use an invisible zipper. Why not an exposed zipper so I looked in my stash, and realized, fortunately sooner than later, that I need a longer zipper because the skirt has a raised waistband. Since I was going to have to order a zipper, why not a matching gold tone Riri zipper. I ordered a 9 inch one from Pacific Trimming. The question I have is how to install it. I looked in my Sewing With Leather and Suede book by Sandy Scrivano and she has a lovely method for facing a light weight leather, mine, in a spot without a seam. But I want to put mine in the side seam. I've been thinking about this, and I could just fold back the seam allowances to expose the zipper, but how do I handle the bottom of the zipper at the top of the sewn side seam? If I face it, do I cut off the sas and, but them and hold then in place with tape from the wrong side and then just sew a facing on on and follow the directions for a faced opening? Suggestions please.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry about your wadder, Nancy! I made a dress with an exposed zipper and followed this tutorial:
    http://www.craftstylish.com/item/49907/how-to-sew-an-exposed-zipper

    It worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the exposed zipper will be a good design choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go with a brass exposed zip. It would be a great design feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Gail-brass exposed zipper-very chic. I also own the Three Graces pattern-so glad I am listening to everyone's advice! Will you post pics soon? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have zero opinion on this matter other than this: the exposed zipper will look Hot. Exposed zippers are tres chic this season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Nancy, you probably already have the Riri, but check out Seattle Fabrics. I think it's them, I'll have to double check. They have some of the gold zippers left from the US Olympic Team uniforms. I got 3, and they're lovely.

    ReplyDelete